Yoga mats – they have the power to make or break a yoga practice. One moment your down dogging and the next you’re slipping and sliding.
The latter is never an enjoyable experience yet too many of us have experienced it. I know I have…..and it ain’t pretty.
But before you invest in a yoga mat, it’s important to recognize that our yoga mats are SO MUCH MORE than what they appear.
A yoga mat is actually a magic carpet in disguise. It transports us from all the bullshit of life to a land of bliss and relaxation. It’s the witness to all the magic that happens before, during, and after yoga.
The moments of sweat. The moments of chaos. The moments of glory. And the moments of pure joy.
That’s quite the introduction I just gave an inanimate object, but in my opinion, it’s well deserved. With the right yoga mat, your practice can be effortless.
Just you, your movements, and the breath.
So the next obvious question is…what yoga mat should I buy.
There’s a ridiculous amount of options, I know. That’s where I come into all of this – to make the process easier, to showcase superstar yoga mats, and to guide you along this yoga journey. And without further ado, let me introduce the best of the best yoga mats – (they’re all Journey Junkie approved).
Liforme Yoga Mat
These mats are the crème de la crème of the yoga mat world.
They have all the qualities a yogi is looking for – support, durability, high quality, warrior like grip, environmentally friendly + a unique alignment system.
What more could you ask for.
- Lifeforme Yoga Mat – $140 and weighs in at 5.5 lbs.
- Liforme Travel Mat – $110 and weighs in at 3.5 lbs.
- Available in four colors – green, pink, grey, and blue.
- To clean – gently wipe down with a sponge, regular soap, and water every 5 – 10 uses. It doesn’t need to be washed after every practice. Lay out to dry after washing.
The beauty of this mat is the unique AlignForMe system. No other mat has this – that’s why it earned the crème de la crème title.
Jade Yoga Mat
Jade Yoga was one of the first companies to recognize the lack of grip in yoga mats….they sought out to change that. And change they did!
- Four mats to choose from – The Harmony Mat, The Harmony XW, The Fusion Mat (extra thick), and The Travel Mat.
- Prices range from $59.95 – $124.95.
- The weight ranges from 3 lbs. – 8 lbs.
- Made in the USA.
- No PVC, EVA or synthetic rubber.
- Comes in a variety of colors.
- To clean – wipe the surface with plain water. If it needs a deep clean, read how to here.
And the best part about this company – for every mat sold, Jade Yoga plants a tree. The company has planted over 850,000 trees.
Talk about supporting a great cause yogi friends!
lululemon Yoga Mat
A yoga product post of any kind wouldn’t be complete without the beloved lululemon yoga mat.
If you don’t know what lululemon is, check them out. They are a huge supporter of all things active and healthy. And aside from creating awesome products, the company is a major proponent of personal growth and development.
- Four mats to choose from – The Reversible Mat (3mm and 5mm), The Mat (3 mm), The Un Mat (travel mat), The Big Mat.
- Prices range from $48 – $78.
- All mats are slip resistant with a top layer that wicks away sweat and absorbs moisture.
- Made with an antimicrobial additive to help prevent mold, bacteria, or fungi.
- The rubber material is stinky at first. Keep your mat rolled out for a few days and the odor will disappear, don’t worry!
- To clean – use only gentle soap, warn water, and a sponge. Lay out flat to dry.
Manduka Yoga Mat
Manduka is a brand that yogis absolutely love. They create high quality products for everything yoga related – yoga mats, yoga towels, and loads of yoga props.
This is the brand that most yoga studios carry and support. So in keeping with the trend of what yogis love, we had to include them in this list.
- Manduka has loads of mat, we will stick to their two most popular ones – The Manduka Pro and The PRO Lite.
- Prices range from $80 – $108.
- Weight ranges from 4 – 9 lbs.
- Comes in a variety of colors and reversible too!
- The mat is environmentally friendly with a zero waste production process.
- Slip resistant – improves after repeated use.
- Lifetime warranty – hells yes!
- To clean – use any non-solvent household cleaner and a damp cloth or sponge. Lay in the sun to dry.
You are now ready to buy an amazing yoga mat. No more slipping, sliding, knees hurting, not enough support yoga practices – hooray!
One thing to note – these mats are on the pricier side when compared to major or discount retailers. I totally understand if you’re nervous about making a large purchase, I was too.
But keep in mind, if you’re an avid yoga practitioner, your yoga mat is used every single time. It’s not like an outfit that’s worn once a month. A yoga mat is an every damn day type of product, it deserves to be a great product not just average.
Invest in yourself. Invest in great brands. Invest in your yoga practice. You will thank me and yourself as soon as you do!
Until next time – xoxo.
Hey! I’m Allie.
I’m a self-growth student, freedom-seeker, yoga teacher and the founder of a tight-knit online yoga community: the Body Mind Soul Studio. I’m here to teach you how to transform your life on-and-off-the-mat with a holistic yoga practice.
I wanna learn it all!
The Yoga Reset Guide is my FREE 7-step journey to deepen your practice and recenter your body, mind and soul. Self-paced, no equipment necessary, perfect for beginners AND veteran yogis.