Welcome to a majorly important yoga video tutorial.
The breakdown of….
You might be wondering, why is this one sequence so important?
Well, let me tell ya…
- We just wrapped the 30 Pose Yoga Journey (which was EPIC & still open for sign ups) & ended our series with learning and doing a sun salutation. To help everyone understand the fundamentals and movements of this sequence, it was necessary to break that baby down.
- The popularity of yoga is rising (as if you didn’t know that) & with growth comes mistakes, injuries, and miscommunication. A majority of yoga injuries come from not learning the sequence correctly, whether it be for lack of listening on the student’s part or for lack of explaining on the teacher’s part. Either way – the end goal is safety.
- It’s a traditional sequence that’s been practiced for years upon years…. so it ain’t going nowhere.
- Sun salutations feel good, period. They’re energizing, awakening, strengthening, empowering, and beautiful to experience.
Do I have you convinced yet?
Good, that was the goal.
Before we dive into the sun salutation tutorial, I have a few tips and thoughts to offer up (per usual, I’ve always got more to stay):
- Take your time, don’t rush the movement, stay with your breath.
- It takes time, as in years, to build upper body strength. Go easy on yourself, enjoy the journey, and the poses will come as a byproduct of your efforts.
- Keep your ego in check. If something doesn’t feel good, honor your body, and get the hell out of there.
- Modify all the damn time, even if the strength’s there, recognize how much or how little the body needs.
- Use this sequence as a complete, overall body awakening routine – morning, afternoon, evening, or anytime you need that extra oomph!
And that’s all I got for ya.
I’ll stop bumbling and babbling on, as I do plenty of that in the video below. I recommend unrolling your mat, grabbing a notebook to jot down any AHA! moments, and putting on your game face – it’s time to Salute the Sun!
How’d it go?
Any AHA! moments? Is the movement starting to click in your body and mind? Are you feeling more comfortable with the sequence, as in able to do it alone?
Yogis – please remember that this sequence takes time, consistent effort, and whole lotta courage. Stay patient with yourself, enjoy the journey as it unfolds, and the postures/sequence will come.
Until next time – xoxo.
Hey! I’m Allie.
I’m a self-growth student, freedom-seeker, yoga teacher and the founder of a tight-knit online yoga community: the Body Mind Soul Studio. I’m here to teach you how to transform your life on-and-off-the-mat with a holistic yoga practice.
I wanna learn it all!
The Yoga Reset Guide is my FREE 7-step journey to deepen your practice and recenter your body, mind and soul. Self-paced, no equipment necessary, perfect for beginners AND veteran yogis.