Fall Equinox is tomorrow and for a brief moment the entire world will be balanced.
Tomorrow, equal amounts of energy will spread throughout the world.
Tomorrow, the days will begin to shift from lightness to darkness.
Tomorrow, our worlds will transition from a time of fruitfulness to harvest.
Tomorrow, a time of reflection, introspection, and balance begins.
Tomorrow is the Fall Equinox.
That intro was super duper serious, I’ll tone it down a notch for ya….
Before I dove into the yoga world, the seasonal changes represented bikinis, pumpkin spice everything, holidays, and then my birthday. I literally knew zero about the meaning behind these transitions or how to channel them appropriately. And hell, I still don’t really know. I read, I listen, I attend yoga ish here and there, and then I do my best to figure it out.
So with that being said, here’s my best attempt at helping you & me gracefully float through the coming months of darkness!
If the term Fall Equinox is completely foreign, here’s a few must-knows:
- It always occurs on September 22, 23 ,or 24th.
- The sun shines directly on the equator making day & night equal all over the world (or almost equal).
- The sun enters Libra during this time which is symbolized by balanced scales – what a coincidence!
- Fall Equinox is the point of balance between Summer & Winter Solstices which are the longest and shortest days of the year.
With the coming days shifting from light to dark, the Fall Equinox is the perfect opportunity for reflection and introspection. It’s a time to draw inward, dive deep into yourself, and refocus on what’s important and meaningful. I urge you to do the following activities to help cultivate a sense of awareness, focus, and most importantly – balance.
Reflection + Introspection:
I suggest writing your answers in a journal that you frequently visit. The below questions and your answers will keep the fire burning through the coming months and help plant positive seeds for the year ahead.
- What have you achieved this year?
- What positive seeds have you harvested?
- What negative seeds have you harvested?
- Why have you been successful in some areas and not others?
- What can you do differently for the future?
- Who has helped you achieve your goals this past year?
- How can you thank these people?
- What areas of your life need more balance?
- How can you transition to a lifestyle of balance?
- What are your dreams, goals, and aspirations for the coming new year?
Meditations + Intention:
- Start a mantra meditation challenge with balance as the key focus.
- Take morning or evening walks with loved ones or by yourself. If by yourself, take a stab at walking meditation.
- Perform a letting go ritual/ meditation by using seeds, leaves, or anything and release them into a body of water to be washed away. If using leaves, write down your fears, intentions, and goals and then release it all. Get creative with this one, there’s lots of options.
- Balance your lifestyle with short moments of meditations. For example. if you have a household of children, take 5 minutes to breathe and relax after they fall asleep or before they wake. If you work in a hectic environment, take a moment before or after work to prepare yourself.
Yoga Postures To-Do:
Seated Pose + Hand Variation
Standing Forward Fold
The Warrior Series – Warrior 1, Warrior 2, Warrior 3
Tree Pose + Variations of your choice
Side Plank Pose
Seated Forward Fold
Supta Baddha Konasana
I challenge you this coming fall and winter to change your perspective, shift your habits, and take on a new sense of purpose.
This pivotal moment of balance – equality in both hemispheres- is a rare moment to balance your world. It’s a chance to be in tune with Mother Nature, cosmic energy, people who surround you, and your very being.
Dive in yogis, head first, and unapologetically – you got this!
Let’s Talk – What do you love about Fall? What rituals do you do to welcome the colder and darker months ahead?
Let me know anything and everything down below, until next time – xoxo
Hey! I’m Allie.
I’m a self-growth student, freedom-seeker, yoga teacher and the founder of a tight-knit online yoga community: the Body Mind Soul Studio. I’m here to teach you how to transform your life on-and-off-the-mat with a holistic yoga practice.
I wanna learn it all!
The Yoga Reset Guide is my FREE 7-step journey to deepen your practice and recenter your body, mind and soul. Self-paced, no equipment necessary, perfect for beginners AND veteran yogis.